30 Jul Tile Flooring: Does Size Matter?
Because tile flooring is a more classic look, people often get it in their heads that they need to use one size in all their rooms. The truth is that there is a wide variety of tile sizes that are great for all room types. Having smaller tiles, extra-large tiles, or a mixture of sizes can create a unique and modern look that gives your room classic lines with a fresh and new design feeling. Keep reading to learn why the size of the tile is not the most critical part of a tile flooring job.
Myth: The Size of the Tile Should Match the Size of the Room
Many people have been led to believe that they should get smaller tiles for smaller rooms, and larger tiles for larger rooms. Though this design method will work if you want it too, this does not have to be the case at all. You can select larger tiles or mixed tiles for any room size as long as the under-flooring, or base flooring is smooth and level. If for some reason, the foundation flooring has not been ground or smoothed before you place larger tiles, it can cause a condition known as lippage. This condition is caused by the edge of one tile being higher up than the next. You can prevent this from happening by ensuring the floor removal service you utilize properly prepares your flooring for the new tile installation.
Design Methods for Using Tile
When looking at tile colors, shapes, and sizes, it is essential to remember what look or feel you are trying to achieve. Each color adds depth or light to a room, while different shapes change the lines in an area. The size and lines laid in a space can determine the appearance of a room’s size. So, if you want a room to seem more prominent and open, you might choose something with lighter colors, bigger tiles, and straighter lines. If you are worried about this aspect of your tile flooring, it might be helpful to consult with a new tile flooring installation service for advice on how to make the right choice
Tile Flooring Types
There are a variety of different tile flooring types available on the market today. Here is a list of a few of those styles.
Each of these tile types come in a variety of colors, sizes, shapes, textures, mattes, and finishes. With the right flooring, you can turn any room into an exotic retreat, give a classic serene finish, or a homey, welcoming feeling. Knowing the kind of traffic you will have in a room will help you to select which type of tile is best for your home.
Tile Sizes and What is Most Common
As we said earlier, new flooring comes in many different shapes, colors, and sizes. This is especially true if you get into artisan or designer label tiles. That being said, there are more common shapes and sizes. Here is a list of some of the most popular tiles.
- Porcelain tiles are a prevalent type found in 4 by 4-inch squares. While you can find this traditional size in most tile materials, it is more commonly used on walls instead of as flooring.
- The most common flooring tiles are 12 by 12-inch squares and come in all of the varieties of composition. Typically, you will see this size tile in natural stone, porcelain, or ceramic.
- There is a plank style that is becoming more popular, that is 4 to 12 inches wide by 24 inches long. These pieces are used to make the flooring choice look more like wood while still being made from slate or natural stone.
- A rectangular 12 by 24-inch tile makes for a classic look in porcelain, ceramic, or natural stone flooring.
- Some square tiles are as big as 24 by 24 inches. These tiles are considered to be some of the biggest tiles found commonly in residential flooring. These large tiles give homes a stately appearance.
Kuhn Flooring and Your New Tile Floors
At Kuhn Flooring, we have an experienced and knowledgeable design team that can discuss all of the tile options with you, including size, color, shape, materials, finishes, and textures. Once you have decided on the right look, they will set you up with our in-house installation team to get you the perfect flooring solutions for your new home.